Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Journal 6


I  was  very  surprised  by  the  figures  that  were  presented  especially  when  they  were  talking  about  the  percentage  of  teenage  females  who  suffer  from  depression.  I  never  had  to  deal  with  this  personally  but  I  know  people  who  have  and  are  still  suffering  from  depression  and  to  hear  that  the  number  of  females  going  through  this  is  getting  higher  instead  of  lowering  it  is  heartbreaking.  As  adult  females  we  should  be  encouraging  young  adults  to  be  more  confident  with  themselves  instead  of  trying  to  be  like  the  people  who  are  in  the  magazines  or  on  television.  I  work  with  adolescent  girls  on  a  daily  basis  and  after  watching  this  video  I  started  to  pay  more  attention  to  how  they  are  dressing  and  wearing  their  hair  and  I  am  starting  to  see  the  impact  media  is  having  on  their  everyday  decisions. As women we should be uplifting each other. We need to teach the younger generation that it is ok to be comfortable with who you are no matter your shape or size. Girls now are so worried about what the people on television are wearing that they try extra hard to fit into that image that they are seeing when in reality no one is perfect and even the people that they are seeing are covered in make-up and being airbrushed to look better. I have a daughter and I try hard to let her be herself. I monitor what she watches and I try to explain to her that what she sees is not always real.

No comments:

Post a Comment